Tuesday, January 20, 2015

20. Join the Adventure! (We Make the Road by Walking)

Engage

1.  What one thought or idea from today's lesson especially intrigued, provoked, disturbed, challenged, encouraged, warmed, warned, helped, or surprised you?

2.  Share a story about a time you went through some hardship or temptation that prepared you for a later opportunity, or a time when you missed an opportunity because you were unprepared.

3.  How do you respond to the idea that you can be captivated by the expectations of your loyal fans and intimidated by the threats of your hostile critics?  Which is a greater danger for you?

4.  What's something you can't do right now that you hope you will be able to do someday?  What will you have to learn in order to do that thing?

Activate

5.  This week, write the word disciple in prominent places to remind yourself of Jesus' invitation to you.

Meditate

6.  In silence, imagine Jesus calling your name and saying two words:  Follow me.  Allow that invitation to stir a response in you at the deepest part of your being.

We Make the Road by Walking: A Year-Long Quest for Spiritual Formation, Reorientation, and Activation ~ by Brian D. McLaren, 2014

2 comments:

AuntyDon said...

This is my favorite chapter so far.
1.) I am encouraged by the emphasis on the "disciple" connotation versus today's meaning of "Christian." It is a good explanation of what I was trying to say two Sundays ago in answer to a member's comment, "Jesus was a good guy" and my weak explanation to another's "virgin birth" article. Interesting that it came up with this chapter. Maybe this is God's answer to my asking for "continual understanding."

2.) I believe I am going through the hardship now with work. I believe I am still with them for some reason I don't yet understand, maybe to be a sounding board for a co-worker. I I will get Section 8 status when it is time for me to quit.

3.) I'd have to say being intimidated by the threats of hostile critics is a greater danger for me because it leads me to withdraw my participation.

Shirley said...

With the often sarcastic tone used with references to Christians, I agree that the use of disciple is much more positive.

I also liked the reference that the good news is for "them" as well as "us".

I'm sorry, Donna, to hear about the hardship you are confronting at work and that critics have led you to withdraw your participation. I hope that things soon become better for you.