|Erechtheion, atop the Acropolis, with its Porch of the Maidens (click to enlarge)|
LOSSI came up with some questions as a way to get us started, but since this is neither school nor a test, let your interests guide you to write about anything you like.
Sue ~ National Archaeological Museum ~ Athens
Ann ~ The Acropolis ~ Athens
Sue ~ The Cathedral of Athens
Ann ~ Restaurant ~ Athens
Sue ~ Sanctuary of Demeter ~ Eleusis
Ann ~ Sanctuary of Demeter ~ Eleusis
Sue ~ Mary's House ~ Ephesus, Turkey
Ann ~ Aboard Ship ~ Patmos, Turkey
Sue ~ Charleston, South Carolina
Ann ~ Charleston, South Carolina
1. Do the alternating chapters by Sue and Ann work for you?
2. Am I the only one who has to keep reminding myself this is a dual memoir, not a novel?
3. Do you relate to either of the two women, the older or the younger? In what ways?
4. Have you ever noticed any synchronicities in your own life, like the bee landing on Sue's shoulder in Ephesus (p. 101)?
As we walk toward each other, a honeybee lights on my left shoulder. I come to an abrupt stop, watching it from the corner of my eye. Perhaps this visitation is nothing, but it feels purposeful. ... The bee is a mystery, a metaphor, a pure synchronicity. ... The awe is that the bee has come at all.5. Ann is depressed during this trip. Does this have anything to do with her interest in the goddess Athena?
6. Was Sue's way of looking at Mary surprising to you
Have you visited any of the places Sue and Ann wrote about in this section?