Thursday, October 18, 2007

Kristina's Answers to OSB Questions 14-20

14. What did you think of the two when you read that? Arthur later blames himself and always, always feels guilty. Should he feel guilty? Later, Arthur is confused that Jake doesn't tell their parents what Arthur had said. Why do you think Jake didn't tell?

I think Arthur had finally had enough, and rightfully so. I think he was concentrating on what he was doing, and finally expressed his feelings. I don't think he should feel guilty at all because Jake was always making Arthur's life miserable and "cried wolf" numerous times. Arthur wasn't sure what to believe. I've not read any further than Chapter 9 but if I have to take a guess at why Jake didn't tell, it's probably because he's waiting. He has the kind of attitude that he knows the "not knowing why" is probably killing Arthur. He knows that when the time comes he can use it against him. Who knows?

15. After the casts came off, Jake had a limp. Why do you suppose Mary Lawson gave her character a limp? In the biblical story of Jacob and Esau, Jacob (the younger) has a limp after wrestling with an angel (or a man) on the night before meeting his brother 20 years after having cheated him out of their father's blessing. Do you think Mary Lawson had that story in mind when she was writing about Jacob and Arthur? Jake, of course, used that limp to his advantage.

Some part of me thinks, you get what you deserve or your just rewards as some say. So the biblical Jacob got what he deserved after he cheated his brother out of his blessing. But I think he got that when his father-in-law switched Rachel for Leah at his wedding. Anyway, another part of me thinks that Mary Lawson had a version of that story in mind. Making Jake have a limp means he got what he deserved for being so stupid at times. I also think that part of it has to do with Jake's character. She could have made him the character that comes out of that ordeal without a scratch on him, and therefore thinks he's invincible. But that would have caused his father to MAKE him do farm work. I think it's part of Jake's character to use the limp as an excuse to get out of work, get pity, and whatever else he decides to cook up, but I also think it had a lot to do with how the other characters around him would react.

16. What did you think about Arthur at this age? What would you have wanted to say to him, if you were his friend? What would you have done in his place?

I think Arthur was always Arthur. He will always be obedient to his mother. However if I were his friend, I wouldn't have told him to just flat out be disobedient and not go. But I think I would have done the same thing that Arthur did, tried to make a plea to his mother about his father needing him on the farm. I think Arthur did it right.

17. When Arthur was rejected by the army because his feet were flat....."Free at last" reminded me of Martin Luther King's speech, but in what way was Arthur now free? What did this feeling of freedom mean for Arthur?


I think it was just what Arthur wanted to do. He didn't want to be in school but didn't see a way out without defying his mother, which he would never do. So to finally have his father come to his rescue was great! I also think that he didn't really want to go into the army except as an excuse to get out of school. So in the end it all worked out in his favor and he was "free at last" to do exactly what he wanted.

18. Ian often seems angry or frustrated, but I could relate to the way he felt one day....."I intend to have a nervous breakdown, just as soon as I find the time." Has anyone else ever felt this way?


I feel this way a lot, especially when things don't go my way. If I want to have a nervous breakdown....I usually do LOL. But, now that I'm pregnant and about to have a baby in Dec or Jan., I have a feeling that my "breakdowns" will be few and far between or like Bonnie "just as soon as I find the time"!!


19. And here's how Cathy made Ian feel:
She was so enthusiastic, that was the problem. Her enthusiasm wore him out.Has that ever happened to you?


OMG!! Those annoying people (usually little blond girls LOL) who are always perky and seem to be having the best day and want to tell you all about it, just as you are having the worst day of your life.....LOL yes I've had that happen...plenty!

20. So many place names are made up by an author that I usually just make a mental note and skim over them, but this line stopped me in my tracks ... because someone from Haileybury, Ontario, Canada visited the blog this week! If you are still around, tell us a little about the area. If any of you Book Buddies are familiar with Struan or Haileybury or any other part of the book's setting, tell us about it, please.

I agree....do share! Not being familiar with Canada, I just assumed it was made up like always. That's great to know it's a real place!

No comments: