Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Tennessee, she said?

"I’m off to Tennessee," she said.  Hey, I'm in Tennessee, but she was going to Kingsport, about a three-hour drive north of Chattanooga if I push it a bit.  So .... guess who I met today?   Guess who wrote this inside my book?
April 2008
For Bonnie --
A delight to meet you!
Go, book buddies!
Warmly,
Masha
Yes!   Now guess who's in a photo with me?  As soon as I learn how to transfer the photo from the new cell phone I got yesterday into my computer, you shall see the great writer, great novelist, great speaker Masha Hamilton ... with Bonnie kneeling beside her chair at lunch today.  (Meanwhile, this is a photo of her I found online.)

Is this fantastic, or what?

I'd write more, but I'm tired.  I'll tell you all about it tomorrow.  Some of the women I met at the conference had already dropped by to visit this blog by the time I got home tonight.   Yep, I told them what a great bunch of folks you book buddies are, so we may have a few visitors ... and maybe some will join us.  Oh, did I forget to tell you these people are librarians?  Masha addressed the Tennessee Library Association's convention because they had chosen The Camel Bookmobile for their first ever One Book, One Conference.

I am so revved up that I have already put Masha's second novel on hold at my library tonight.  The publisher chose the title The Distance Between Us for that one, though Masha wanted to call it Lust of the Eyes.  Have you read it?

Good night.   More tomorrow.

6 comments:

Zorro said...

Good for you, BuddyLeader!

What is the conference you are attending?

Do you have One (city), One Book in your town? Or do you have The Big Read?

Do you participate in either of these book reads?

Bonnie Jacobs said...

The conference, which I didn't exactly attend, is for Tennessee librarians. I'll write another post today.

Yes, I'm on the committee for our "one book" equivalent of The Big Read, which we call A Tale for One City. In March Laurie Halse Anderson was our visiting author for this year. Read about our choices for next spring here:

http://ataleforonecity.blogspot.com

I'm on the task force to plan the community book discussions, which take place not only in our library system, but in bookstores and other venues. Some years I lead discussions at branch libraries, and I have also led book discussions in bookstores.

Our professionally drawn logo shows a book (that sort of resembles our mountains) with the sun coming up over the (Tennessee) River flowing right down the middle. You can see it when you use that URL above.

Now let me turn the questions around and ask them of you? Do you have something like that in your town and do you participate?

Zorro said...

Yes we do both (I guess) This year it is The Big Read - To Kill a Mockingbird and ast year for One Book, One San Antonio we read:

The Gates of the Alamo
The Gates of the Alamo tells the story of Texas’ famous battle from the point of view of ordinary people caught in the tide of history, with a perspective that accounts for both the Mexican and Texian points of view. Mary Mott, her son Terrell, her lover Edmund McGowan and William Barrett Travis’ slave Joe offer the Texas perspective, while that of Mexico is provided by two soldiers, Lt. Telesforo Villaseñor, Santa Anna’s mapmaker; and Sgt. Blas Montoya, who leads a company of sharpshooters.

Stephen Harrigan
Former staff writer and senior editor at Texas Monthly magazine, Stephen Harrigan is the author of four novels and several screenplays for television, including King of Texas. Mr. Harrigan is on the faculty of the University of Texas James A. Michener Center for Writing. He is a member and former president of the Texas Institute of Letters and a member of the Philosophical Society of Texas. He currently lives in Austin.

The previous year it was Places Left Unfinished at the Time of Creation by a San Antonio native son.

alisonwonderland said...

so cool, bonnie! looking forward to seeing the photo and hearing more!

Jennifer said...

Hey ya'll! How's it going?

Charleston did The Big Read last year and the book was Zora Neal Hurston's Their Eyes Were Watching God. We read and analyzed the book in detail in one of my high school honors English classes so I remembered a lot of it and didn't reread it. Charleston also had a lot of talks, forums, screenings, and what not during the month related to the book and ZNH herself. It was really neat. I haven't heard of plans to do anything like this again this year or if it went over well, but I hope they do.

In other news, I still don't have The Camel Bookmobile, which irks me. I was looking forward to reading this book with ya'll, especially since we can discuss it with the author. I ordered the book from B&N right after we chose it. They got the hardcover in for me instead of the paperback then reordered the correct one for me. That was last Monday. I called them on Tuesday to see if it was somehow there and I just didn't get an email from them but it wasn't. They said it was scheduled to be in the next day. Still no email two days later. I don't get this with them. Usually if I have to order books from them, I get them in two to three days. Ugh! Sorry for ranting, it's just really frustrating!

Toby said...

Whoooooo Hoooooooo!!!!! Bonnie, so funny, LOL!!, I loved reading what you did & your descripions of your adventure. Just wish that I was with you. That must have been so much fun!!!! Love the T-shirt. :)This book sounds fantastic. It's already on my list of books to read. I've been in a bookmobile once here in New England. I think I left with a few books tucked under my arms.
The Big Read? I know that New Bedford, Ma. usually reads Moby Dick once a year. I don't know if my city has The Big Read.