Tuesday, June 5, 2012

TwP ~ questions about RETURN

Athena mourning or meditating
In this third section of Traveling with Pomegranates, Sue and Ann travel to Greece in 2000.  Chapter titles show us where they were.
RETURN
Ann ~ Palianis Nunnery ~ Crete
Sue ~ Palianis Convent ~ Crete
Ann ~ Restaurant ~ Delphi
        The Acropolis, Plaka, Electra Palace Hotel ~ Athens
Sue ~ Sanctuary of Demeter ~ Eleusis
A few more questions for you to choose from:

13. Sue reflected on "the hive of darkness" she had written into her novel and began to associate it with the world.  She sometimes felt overwhelmed by negative television images (p. 250).  Do you think her response is helpful?
"Cut off the TV," I would say to Sandy.  Maybe there is wisdom in limiting one's daily intake of bad news, but out of sight did not entirely prove out of mind for me.  Was the hive actually growing darker, or did seeing so much ceaseless news just make it seem so?
14.  Ann and Sue are at a point of thinking differently about their writing, as Sue muses here about Ann (p. 251).  What do you think?
She read in one of her writing books that a writer's job is to serve his or her work not the ego, but the writing itself.  She took this to heart.  As I sit here with twenty-two years of writing behind me, thinking of Ann and the way she has plunged into her apprenticeship, which is what she calls it, I mull over the idea that a writer's job is to serve her work.  This notion consumed me for most of my writing life for nearly the first two decades.  But now it flips over in my mind and I find myself wondering what the work ought to serve.
15.  If a  Greek dancer held out his hand to you, would you dance?  Someone did (p. 258):
On the next pass by the table, I see my video camera still rolling, its red light glowing, capturing me from the waist down as I dance at the center of the world.

2 comments:

Shirley said...

I wonder if the planned three generation trip to Greece occurs.

Ann's and Sue's journeys are much more elaborate and reflective than the trips my daughter and I have taken, but they are interesting to read about.

My other wonderment about this section is Ann's depression. I had wondered from the earlier section whether or not her depression was the kind that needed therapy/medication or if it was the kind that needed the treatment of time for her to sort out the sorrows of her life (in her case, the rejection letter seemed to be the trigger). From this section, it sounded like Ann was able to overcome her depression.

The questions didn't really hit home with me, but I'll add some comments on them:

13. Sue reflected on "the hive of darkness" she had written into her novel and began to associate it with the world. She sometimes felt overwhelmed by negative television images (p. 250). Do you think her response is helpful?
"Cut off the TV," I would say to Sandy. Maybe there is wisdom in limiting one's daily intake of bad news, but out of sight did not entirely prove out of mind for me. Was the hive actually growing darker, or did seeing so much ceaseless news just make it seem so?
I agree that the negative images on television and the internet do become overwhelming especially since they are never ending and one feels helpless to do anything to overcome them. I generally listen to the news in the morning and evening while doing household tasks. The constant barrage of such news does make it less shocking though which might mean that people are less likely to try to take action to try to remedy some of the problems.

14. Ann and Sue are at a point of thinking differently about their writing, as Sue muses here about Ann (p. 251). What do you think?
I think it is admirable that the life work for each of them is such an integral part of their lives. I don't know what the work ought to serve.

15. If a Greek dancer held out his hand to you, would you dance?
No. I would not have the self confidence or physical agility to join in on the fun.

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Shirley, you have done a great job going through the book and answering questions. I've had other commitments that have kept me busy, but I'll try to comment soon (after a graveside service I have to do). The questions I pose are not by any means the only things worth discussing, so you can skip them and simply share with us what you got out of the book — or a section of the book.