Thursday, October 25, 2007

OSB finished, SPOILERS

I finished OSB many days ago, and had almost forgotten about it already....bad me. But there is something I need to throw in here about our october read.

As much as I enjoyed the book, I did find that some events were way over the top. Like the tractor accident Arthur's father had, ON THE VERY FIRST DAY HE DROVE THE DARN THING. I just don't see the point of giving us readers such a tragic event. Is that to shock us? To explain why Arthur hated tractors? Surely she could have been a bit more subtle than this...

And then, the grande finale, where little Carter is run over by the car in which Jake tries to get away from his raging brother Arthur. He isn't injured, no, he is KILLED. Why?

As most of us, I am guilty of watching a few daily soaps. I know that soaps need these kinds of events when an actor wants to get out of the story. But in a book?

2 comments:

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Margreet, the final questions for the book have been posted, so the whole book is open for discussion now. No need for spoilers, since everybuddy reading with us should have finished the book by now.

Nobuddy has even mentioned these questions, found here:
http://bookbuddies3.blogspot.com/2007/10/osb-discussion-questions-chapters-1-13.html

Anonymous said...

I agree Margreet, some things were definitely too dramatic for this kind of book.