Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Shirley's answers to DQ

10. Ian gets very irritated when anyone assumes he would, of course, become a doctor like his father and grandfather before him, as in the scene with Mr. Hardy:

"Am I right to assume I'm speaking to the next Dr. Christopherson?"

He had smiled and Ian had felt irritation rising up in him like a wave. "I've decided I'd like to study agriculture," he said. ...

"There's an excellent school of agriculture in Guelph. Would you like to apply to that?"

Ian's heart started to thump. Was this it, then? Had he just decided his future in a single spasm of irritation? (pp. 116, 117)
Have you ever said something impulsively that you later regretted? How was it decided where you would go to school or what work you would do? Has irritation ever gotten you into trouble?

The most recent major case of foot in the mouth disease that I shudder when I think of was the night after my son's death. My youngest son had taken it very hard and after a horrible breakdown at the hospital, said that he needed to get away, left, and we didn't hear from him for several hours. It was with great relief when one of the boys' friends called and let me know that he was all right. When he finally came home, in my effort to comfort him I commented that things would seem better again and that we could perhaps figure out something for him to do for a career (he has been working various low paying jobs after dropping out of college and I have been troubled wondering how what he is going to do for a career). This was pathetic timing. How stupid could I get? He left again. His girlfriend called to let me know that he was o.k., he did meet with us for the funeral arrangements the next day, and I have avoided the subject since then.

The whole career issue is one that becomes rather touchy. My older son was happy doing tech work primarily at the local performing arts center. It didn't pay well so my husband and I encouraged him to get training in something else. He went to vo tech and received training to become an electrician and later earned an associate's degree. He did not like working as an apprentice electrician and later went back to his original job. In his room, one of the quotes he had hung on his door was a quote from George Burns, “I’d rather be a failure at something I enjoy than be a success of something I hate.” Brendan listened to his heart and was successful in his work both paid and as a volunteer in technical stage work.

Although I am concerned about my younger son's career, I am going to try to be a supportive listener and not offer unasked for advice.

Shirley
10/16/07

See previous comments HERE.

No comments: