1. Why do you think Ms. Gruwell refers to the Nazis as the most famous gang in history? Why does this comparison make the students listen to her?
2. Why are the students so unwilling to associate with anyone outside their own ethnic or racial groups? Where does this intolerance come from?
3. Why is trust such an important part of a teacher-student relationship?
4. Respect and trust are not only a problem among the students. Teachers and administrators at Wilson High School don't support Ms. Gruwell's teaching methods. Why do they refuse to trust her?
5. Why are the students so filled with anger at the beginning of the book? Do you think their anger is reasonable?
6. Have you ever kept a diary or journal?