Saturday, November 3, 2007

Book suggestions for 2008

Margreet suggested some Dutch authors we may want to consider. I have looked up these authors and found some of their books in English. Click on each link for a look at each book:

Authors ~ women

Renate Dorrestein
Heart of Stone
Unnatural Mothers
Without Mercy

Hella Haasse
In a Dark Wood Wandering : A Novel of the Middle Ages
Scarlet City : A Novel of Sixteenth-Century Italy
Threshold of Fire : A Novel of Fifth Century Rome
Forever a Stranger and Other Stories (stories)
A Stranger in the Hague : The Letters of Queen Sophie of the Netherlands to Lady Malet, 1842-1877 (nonfiction)

Anna Enquist
The Injury
The Fire Was Here (poetry)
The Masterpiece
The Secret
The Ice Carriers

Authors ~ men

Maarten 't Hart
Sundial

Arthur Japin
Two Hearts of Kwasi Boachi
In Lucia's Eyes

Adriaan van Dis
My Father's War

Arnon Grunberg
Phantom Pain
Blue Mondays
Silent Extras

Obviously, we won't be limited to books by Dutch authors, but see if there's one on the list that interests you ... AND ... suggest other books for us to consider reading in 2008. Margreet, if you have a favorite among these, please recommend it. And now, seemingly way too soon, it is time for suggestions, which can also come from our previous lists.

9 comments:

Margreet said...

Wow, Bonnie, I didn't realize there were so many in English! I printed your list, and will see which ones I own in Dutch. I know you read Dorrestein's Heart of Stone, that would be a good one for us here. Another fav of mine is Arthur Japin's Two hearts of kwasi Boachi, a very interesting story!
Arnon Grunberg is less 'accessible', but may be an intersting choice. More later..

Shirley said...

My first choice based on the reviews (clever the way one can read about the books and easily return to the blog)is A Heart of Stone.

Bonnie Jacobs said...

I think Dorrestein's Heart of Stone is a good choice. Margreet, I got the book but haven't read it yet.

We still need other suggestions, everybuddy! Let's make a list.

Tricia said...

Hi Bonnie,
Thanks for stopping by and checking out my anniversary post. I will be reading this month's book as soon as it gets here. I'm looking forward to joining the conversation. I will think about some titles for next year as well and post them here.
Regards,
Tricia

Tricia said...

P.S. - I'm thrilled about the December book!

Tricia said...

While I'm thinking of it, I should mention I have been longing to read The Book of Lost Things, by John Connolly.
http://www.amazon.com/Book-Lost-Things-Novel/dp/074329890X/

Teddy Rose said...

Wow what a great list. There are several that sound interesting. I have saved the list so I can refer back to it and add some of the books to my TBR.

Teddy

Toby said...

My first choice is In Lucia's Eyes. My second choice is A Heart of Stone.

Gerry said...

Great list.
I must review them.
Looks like A Heart of Stone is leading the race.
A great idea for dutch authors.
Gerry