1. Think of "spots of time" in your life "when somebody went out of their way to help" you. Share some of those stories (p. 112).
2. Also, share "the effects of the unkind remarks that have been a corrosive presence" in your mind (p. 113).
3. How often are you conscious of thinking or behaving in a hurtful way? Has this consciousness helped you to stop or shift your thoughts or actions?
4. How often are you aware of or do you act on the positive or negative version of the Golden Rule? How might you incorporate it more consciously in your life?
|Pick up a stone to carry with you this month, to remind you to take action.|
1. "Make a resolution to act once every day in accordance with the positive version of the Golden Rule: 'Treat others as you would wish to be treated yourself '" (p. 114).
2. "Resolve each day to fulfill the negative version of the Golden Rule: 'Do not do to others what you would not like them to do to you'" (p. 114).
3. Visit charterforcompassion.org to read other's stories of compassion and/or add one of your own.
Twelve Steps to a Compassionate Life ~ by Karen Armstrong, 2010