Sunday, March 9, 2008

POB - Question

This is a question that is purely for my curiosity. Given how much Australian idiom is in the book, I was wondering whether or not the American version has mum spelt as mum or as mom. For a specific reference, on about page 142 (I think the page numbering varies slightly in my version) Hanna talks about going to listen to her mum's speech. In the Australian version of the book is says:

Mum's talk was humbly titled "How I Do It: Giant Aneurysms."
It's not a important question ..... but I was wondering! LOL!!

Maybe a better question is how do you find the Australian colloquialisms within the book? The author has definitely got them right...which she should given that she is Australian herself, although she has lived away from here for a very long time.

3 comments:

Zorro said...

Mum is still Mum in the American version.

Maybe a better question is how do you find the Australian colloquialisms within the book?

Sometimes I noticed them and didn't quite get the meanings. But most of them I could figure out.

Zorro

alisonwonderland said...

i had to go look at my copy, although i thought (correctly, as it turns out) that "Mum" was "Mum" (page 135 in my copy, btw). i'm not sure i remember any of the Australian colloquialisms at this point - i guess i'll have to pay better attention as i continue reading - but i guess that means that they haven't been distracting or troublesome.

Bonnie Jacobs said...

I hadn't gotten to "Mum's talk" titled "How I Do It: Giant Aneurysms" until this morning, but I'm there now (p. 135, as Alison says). On page 133 is a discussion of Australian usage of pissed off, which is the same here in the States. But piss and pissed are used differently: "I'm pissed" means the same thing as "I'm pissed off" which, in turn, would as likely become "PO'd" because those aren't polite words to say out loud.