Saturday, July 5, 2008

The Devil in the White City -- Frozen Music Discussion Questions

1. In what ways is this nonfiction book like a novel? Is it more satisfying to read fiction or nonfiction?

I am finding that The Devil in the White City reads mostly like a novel to me, except for some of the factually dense portions and tangents. I usually have a very hard time reading non-fiction books and can only digest them in small parts so they take me a very long time to finish. I'm not having this problem with The Devil in the White City, although it is a little slower going for me than fiction. For me, fiction is definitely a more satisfying read since I don't struggle so with reading it. I do enjoy the learning part of reading non-fictions though and I wish I read more of them. This is one aspect of the online book clubs that I'm enjoying (reading non-fiction with a group on a schedule).

2. What have you found out so far about Chicago, the Fair, and the two men: Burnham and Holmes?

Nearly everything in the book so far is new information to me. I know very little about the city of Chicago and nothing about Chicago of that time period. I know nothing about the Fair or Burnham and Holmes. But I'm enjoying learning about it all!

3 comments:

Zorro said...

Jennifer, I agree with you about reading non-fiction. Even as a science teacher, I never have enjoyed reading books about science, with one exception -The Beak of the Finch about the Galapagos Islands. I think it is too much like studying. But this book read as if it were a fiction story. I also read the author's book about the Galveston Hurricane and found it moved right along also. So I guess he is a master of writing interesting non-fiction.

Jennifer said...

Hola Zorro

I would consider reading another of Larson's books in the future. I knew he wrote one about a hurricane at the turn of the century, but I'm not sure what his others are about. I guess this will require some online research. lol

Unknown said...

Thanks for the suggestion of Half of a Yellow Sun - I'm going to request this from the library!