Thursday, August 21, 2008

My suggestion for September



I'm really enjoying the book I'm reading now: The Freedom Writers Diary by Erin Gruwell. Over on my Banned Books blog, we picked up on a controversy swirling around this book ... a teacher in Indiana was suspended from her school for choosing this book for her class to read. Check out these posts from my other blogs by clicking on the links:

Saturday the 16th ~ Let's Talk About It (see sidebar)

Sunday the 17th ~ Alison's review of the book

Tuesday the 19th ~ Book chosen for my Bella Novella book club

Thursday the 21st ~ Teacher suspended for teaching it
The book has been made into a movie starring Hilary Swank, and the husband of the suspended teacher has commented on the first blog post listed above.

3 comments:

Shirley said...

Count me in! The book itself sounds intriguing. The story about the teacher suspension adds to the interest in the book. With all of the problems in schools today, it seems absurd that the use of a book which relates to the lives of students in ways that help them explore the past and how it impacts their lives could be banned.

Shelley said...

This sounds like an awesome book, but I'm going to be dropping out of Book Buddies due to some new things I've gotten involved in. I think I mentioned before that I belong to four book clubs, but I've decided to cut that down to one (a family one)! It's hard to do, but reading the selected books of the various clubs was starting to feel like homework instead of fun.
Thanks for letting me participate in Book Buddies this last year! I will probably still visit!

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Shelley, I'm sorry you won't be reading with us, but I understand that we have to do what's best for us. Please visit from time to time and let us know what's going on in your life. And please comment whenever you like, even on a book you haven't read. You know we talk about issues brought up in books, and people always have thoughts and feelings about issues. So jump in any time.

If you have time, please also vote on (or comment on) your most and least favorite books.