Sunday, May 23, 2010

HR ~ accommodations for Jacob

Jennifer posted in her reading notes of chapter 8:
"Oliver gets four of the the five concessions he asked the judge for."
This gets us into the discussion I had in mind when I asked in question #6:
"Oliver requests accommodations for Jacob in court.  Do they seem fair? The first five minutes of the trial show the constant vigilance needed to keep Jacob from having a meltdown and how much Emma does know about her son.  Let's talk about the kind of provisions made for Jacob at home, at school, in the wider community, and in court.  Do you think they are excessive, inadequate, appropriate, fair or unfair?"
What were those concessions Oliver got for Jacob?  What did the judge NOT allow?

Changing the subject (slightly).  Did you notice that the judge also quotes something from a movie, after Jacob does?  In Oliver's section (see page 195), Jacob is being dragged out of court, shouting:
I look from her to my client, who has gone boneless and is being dragged out a different door.  "Take your stinking paws off me, you damned dirty ape!" Jacob yells.

The judge narrows his eyes at me.

"It's from Planet of the Apes," I mutter.

"I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore," he replies.  "That's from Network.  I highly recommend you watch the movie after you get your client under control."

No comments: