Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The Help - Discussion by Susan

Unbidden images of Gone with the wind popped into my head and played out at first while reading the stories of Aibileen and the other black maids, until I found them reading the classics and discovered that some were even college educated. I have to stop and think, this is in fact 1962, almost a hundred years since the slaves were set free. So what has happened in 100 years? According to this story, the subservient slave labor is alive and well, except these black women are employees instead of property.

This book was written from the perspective of several different characters, each taking turns to narrate a chapter or more - just like in House Rules. Does this style of writing have a name? Once again I found myself engrossed in the story, only to have to look back at the beginning of the chapter to see who was doing the story now. A little frustrating, but overall I like the different perspectives it provides.

I really enjoyed this book, it is funny and sad and serious and suspenseful and totally believable. As I am sure the author intended, I found myself rooting for the maids and abhorring their white bosses. For such an oppressing topic, it was a thoroughly great read.



~posted by Susan of patchwork reflections

2 comments:

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Susan, whose library copy of The Help came in too late for discussion of the book in July, has three new posts up: two answering the DQs (discussion questions) and this one discussing the book overall.

By using this link, you can read what Susan wrote and any other TH ("The Help") posts you may have missed:

http://bookbuddies3.blogspot.com/search/label/TH

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Forgot to add:

Susan reviewed The Help on her blog this morning, and you may want to read what she says:

http://patchworkreflections.blogspot.com/2010/08/book-review-help.html