Saturday, July 27, 2013

Turning to One Another ~ by Margaret J. Wheatley

Turning to One Another: Simple Conversations to Restore Hope to the Future ~ by Margaret J. Wheatley, 2009
"I believe we can change the world if we start talking to one another again."  With this simple declaration, Margaret Wheatley proposes that people band together with their colleagues and friends to create the solutions for real social change, both locally and globally, that are so badly needed.  Such change will not come from governments or corporations, she argues, but from the ageless process of thinking together in conversation.  Turning to One Another encourages this process.

Meg Wheatley
Part One explores the power of conversation and the conditions that support it — simplicity, courage, listening, and diversity.
Part Two contains quotes and images to encourage the reader to pause and reflect, and to prepare for the work ahead, which is starting conversations.
Part Three provides twelve conversation starters — questions that in Wheatley's experience have led people to share their deepest beliefs, fears, and hopes.
INFORMATION
Author's home page
Book's web page
Table of Contents
How to start a conversation

DISCUSSION
Part One: Turning to One Another
Part Two: A Place to Pause and Reflect
Part Three: Conversations Starters
#1 ~ Do I feel a vocation to be fully human? (pp. 60-65)
#2 ~ What is my faith in the future? (pp. 66-73)
#3 ~ What do I believe about others? (pp. 74-81)
#4 ~ What am I willing to notice in my world? (pp. 82-89)
#5 ~ When have I experienced good listening? (pp. 90-97)
#6 ~ Am I willing to reclaim time to think? (pp. 98-105)
#7 ~ What is the relationship I want with the earth? (pp. 106-115)
#8 ~ What is my unique contribution to the whole? (pp. 116-125)
#9 ~ When have I experienced working for the common good? (pp. 126-133)
#10 ~ When do I experience sacred? (pp. 134-141)
#11 ~ What is our role in creating change? (pp. 142-149)
#12 ~ Can I be fearless? (pp. 150-159)

4 comments:

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Calling all Book Buddies! Shirley and I have picked another book to discuss. Would you like to join us?

AuntyDon said...

I will join. I've barely started the book, but look forward to sharing thoughts.

Zorro said...

It is never too late, is it. I will go get the book for my kindle and catch up.

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Never too late. This book reads fast, and parts are very short, at least in terms of words. Welcome, Mary Zorro, to the conversations with us and Meg Wheatley.