Thursday, January 15, 2015

19. Jesus Coming of Age (We Make the Road by Walking)

Engage

1.  What one thought or idea from today's lesson especially intrigued, provoked, disturbed, challenged, encouraged, warmed, warned, helped, or surprised you?

2.  Share the story of your baptism or some other initiation experience you've had.

3.  How do you respond to this explanation of John the Baptist and baptism?  In breaking with tradition, what kind of challenges do you think he encountered?

4.  When you think of a dove and a lamb, what do you think of?

Activate

5.  This week, look for every chance to "grow in wisdom" by listening, learning, and asking questions.

Meditate

6.  Imagine God asking you, "What one thing would you like me to do for you?"  As Solomon asked for wisdom, hold one request up to God in silence.  Then, receive God's message to Jesus as a message to you by saying these words, silently or aloud, one time or several times:  "[Your name], you are my child, whom I dearly love.  In you I find pleasure."  Finally, make these words your own:  "I am [my name], your child, whom you dearly love.  In me you find pleasure."

We Make the Road by Walking: A Year-Long Quest for Spiritual Formation, Reorientation, and Activation ~ by Brian D. McLaren, 2014

No comments: